Going on our first yoga retreat to Yogaville, VA last year was a major turning point in our lives. These are truly transformative experiences and we believe that anyone who enjoys a lifestyle of health and wellness can greatly benefit from a retreat, whether local, or further away.
Here Are 10 Reasons to Go on a Yoga Retreat:
1. You'll take your yoga to the next level. Practicing yoga regularly can be challenging if you have a busy schedule. But when you’re on a retreat, chances are you’ll have 2 classes offered a day, which will ensure your progress and you will see the positive effects more quickly.
2. You'll get a new perspective. Going to a new place creates an opportunity to see the world, and yourself, in a new light. Experiencing the unknown is an accelerated way to grow and learn.
3. You'll *actually* meditate. When you have extended free time, it’s a lot easier to meditate. No cell phone buzzing or boss reminding you about deadlines. On retreats, it feels a lot more natural to breathe deeply and be present in the moment.
4. You'll detox digitally. One of our favorite things about a retreat is shutting off the technology. While lots of resorts have wifi, you don’t feel the need to constantly tweet, text, update facebook or call friends. It feels good to unplug.
5. You'll relax and de-stress. Sometimes we have to be far from home to give ourselves the permission to truly relax. Being on a retreat allows you to listen to your body, rest when you need it, and be free from stress.
6. You'll eat well without having to do all the work. If your retreat is all inclusive, you get three healthy and delicious meals a day without the need to find recipes, go grocery shopping, prepare the food, or clean up. Getting the nutrition you need has never been easier. All the work is done for you.
7. You'll replace old habits. The best way to break a bad habit is to replace it with a new healthy one. When you get out of your regular routine for a week, you can replace unhealthy habits with conscious new behaviors that support you in being your best self.
8. You'll make new friends. Undeniably, you will meet individuals with similar interests. Even if you go alone, you have a chance to make friends with people from around the world who you might know for the rest of your life.
9. You'll appreciate home. While a few days or a week in paradise is always nice, we often come home with a refreshed appreciation for life. You feel happier, healthier, and re-energized to jump back into your routine with new vigor. Heck, it might even feel fun!
10. Because you deserve it! Thoreau said: “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you’ve imagined.” While this quote might be on your refrigerator, chances are you make excuses about why you can’t YET. Often times the excuses are about money, time or circumstances but guess what, you deserve a break. You work hard for a reason and you can always find reasons why you should or should not do something. The key to happiness is deciding what you really want and (as Marisa says) “making it happen”. No excuses. You deserve to invest in yourself!
11. BONUS: Our one-day retreat at Blueberry Gardens is booked for September 29, 2018. We’d love for you to join us! This retreat is specifically designed to help you experience bliss and all of the 10 delightful benefits listed above. With yoga for all levels, body treatments, goal-setting, a delicious lunch, and plenty of time to relax, this retreat will be a dream come true.
The Namaste From NiMaSte Blog is written by the Nimaste Yoga staff.